BUFFALO CHICKEN WINGS
For the wings:
4 to 5 pounds chicken wings
Freshly ground black pepper
4 cups vegetable oil
For the sauce:
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) margarine
5 tablespoons Louisiana-brand hot sauce or Tabasco sauce
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1. Chop off the tip of each chicken wing, and discard it. Chop the wing in half (cutting at the joint) to make 2 pieces.
2. Grind on fresh black pepper and sprinkle with salt if desired.
3. Heat the oil over high heat in a deep skillet, Dutch oven, or deep-fat fryer until it starts to pop and sizzle (around 400 degrees F).
4. Add half the chicken wings and cook until they're golden and crisp, stirring or shaking occasionally. When done, remove them to drain on paper towels and cook the remaining wings.
5. Melt the butter or margarine over medium heat in a heavy saucepan; add the hot sauce and the 1-tablespoon of vinegar. Stir well and remove from the flame immediately.
6. Place the chicken on a warm serving platter, pour the sauce on top, and serve with blue cheese dressing and celery sticks.
Yield: 8 to 10 servings